It is still hard to believe that Twitter turned 10 this week, Facebook launched 12 years ago in February and even Instagram has just celebrated its 5th birthday.
Social media has became an essential part of everybody’s life and it’s here to stay. People have realised how powerful social media can be, from doing something that goes viral to making something happen for a good cause.
I’ve got 5 great tips that you should know about social media and how to improve your own social media marketing strategy.
#1: The Facts
Everyone knows how popular social media is but when we see the numbers in front of us, that is when it becomes impressive.
- In any given month, approximately 1.28 BILLION people are active on Facebook – roughly equivalent to the entire population of India, the world’s second most-populous country.
- Almost half of all Twitter accounts – 44 % – have never sent a tweet.
- Two new users join LinkedIn every second.
- Instagram’s per-follower engagement rate is 58 times higher than Facebook’s and 120 times higher than Twitter’s.
- Pinterest generates more than 400% more revenue per click than Twitter, and 27% more per click than Facebook.
#2: What to do about your competitors
In today’s digital society it is no longer a matter of choice for a company to have a presence on social media, you have to be part of it in order to survive and thrive within this competitive landscape. Fortunately, tracking your competitors correctly on social media helps you see what they are doing, gain great insight and see how you measure up against them.
Before social media, businesses and corporations were paying an arm and a leg to get the kind of information on their competitors that we can now access for free on social media.
Here is what you should be doing when it comes to your competitors:
- Follow your competitors
- See what content they’re putting out and how they’re doing it. Are they using a different angle or perspective on things than you do? How are the responding to customers?
- Facebook pages to watch – Did you know that you can create a list of your competitors’ Pages on Facebook, and Facebook will automatically help you monitor their performance statistics?
- Twitter Lists – Hands down, the easiest way to sift through your Twitter competitors (and the rest of the network, too)
- Read through their reviews that they’re getting on their Facebook Pages or Google+.
#3: Always think about your content
Consumers are so overwhelmed with information on any newsfeed that they are filtering out the noise. And unless you catch their attention in authentic and engaging ways and with quality content, your message will get filtered out too.
Click Here to learn how to create ridiculously good content that everybody wants to read.
#4: Embrace the latest social media platforms
People are just starting to become experts on Facebook and Twitter but now the latest social media platforms are starting to take over and we can not ignore them. We have to embrace Snapchat, Instagram and Pinterest.
2016 is going to be the year of video and live streaming. So professionals need to understand that a platform like snapchat is not just for teenagers, it can be heavily used to enhance your business. Brands and content creators are using Snapchat to produce daily stories that engage and excite audiences. it’s perfect for real-time social media marketing.
Visual content sparks engagement, it must attract attention, entice action or sharing, and inspire advocacy becomes the ultimate form of marketing.
#5: Take full advantage of the free tools available
Whether you are part of a startup or an enterprise marketing department, there will always be a budget. And the majority of the time it is never enough. So when you get use something for nothing is a great bonus and there are some great free tools out that for you to use.
This is one you have probably heard of before as it is a trusted giant in the land of the social media tools. And it comes highly recommended. It includes features such as a multi channel social media listening tool, a scheduling tool, RSS feeds, analytics and reporting.
On Buffer’s free plan, you can track all the major engagement and activity stats for every update you post to help you determine the perfect moment to schedule your future posts to maximise your exposure.
Followerwonk shows you detailed breakdowns of your followers and activity. Click on the Analytics tab, enter a Twitter username (either yours or someone else’s), and view information on followers and following. See stats like when your followers are online, when you typically post, and how your followers fall into categories like social authority, activity, total tweets, and follower count.
This tool is only for Pinterest and goes beyond analytics. You can schedule pins, promote pins, and gain new followers all through Viralwoot.
By using these tools, you will shave so much time off your social media planning and marketing while providing data that’ll help you make the most of your campaigns.
Want to learn more about Social Media? Join us at the 3XE Digital Social Media & Content Marketing Conference at Croke Park, Dublin on May 11th 2016.